Deorbiting armv4 and armv5 support

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Jun 12 04:41:45 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Ronald Klop <ronald-lists at klop.ws> wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Jun 2017 22:22:51 +0200, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>>
>> The pmap in armv4/5 has been broken for years at this point. It basically
>> works, but has issues with unaligned buffers. Since these have remained
>> unfixed for a long time, and most of the main ARM developers have given up
>> trying to fix it, I think it would be best to retire the support rather
>> than waste people's time that seem to be working only to discover after a
>> lot of effort that it's busted.
>>
>> Since the consensus at the FreeBSD developer's summit appeared to be
>> 'let's
>> let it go'. It would remove the TARGET_ARCH arm and armeb. armv6 would
>> remain unaffected (though see a parallel thread).
>>
>> Warner
>>

> What branches are you talking about?

I'm thinking only the -current branch.

However, I'm thinking now that I'll write up something more formal (the FCP
process) and start maybe a 3 month timeout. There's two leads on a fix,
I'll be looking at one of them in the next few days. If one of these fixes
is good, I'll merge it. The second one is a long shot, though...

So, my current plan is that if it remains unfixed by, say Sept 1, 2017,
I'll deorbit. I may adjust that date depending on the timing of the 12
branch, since I want to get this resolved before the branch...

Warner