virtio-net issues on aarch64 QEMU/KVM

Andrea Bolognani abologna at redhat.com
Thu Jul 27 14:30:03 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I'm trying 11.1-RELEASE on QEMU/KVM, and I'm having some
trouble with VirtIO networking.

I've imported the official qcow2 image into libvirt by
running

  # virt-install \
    --name freebsd \
    --arch aarch64 \
    --machine virt \
    --ram 2048 \
    --vcpus 1 \
    --accelerate \
    --graphics none \
    --features acpi=off \
    --os-variant freebsd11.0 \
    --import \
    --disk path=/var/lib/libvirt/images/freebsd.qcow2,bus=virtio,address.type=virtio-mmio \
    --network network=default,model=virtio,address.type=virtio-mmio

and the system comes up succesfully; however, when I
try to activate the network interface by running

  # dhclient vtnet0

the process seems to pretty much just sit there. ^C
doesn't help. Needless to say, if I configure vtnet0 to
be brought up at boot I never get to the prompt.

I have a bunch of Linux guests on the same host and none
of them displays the same symptoms. The host is running
Linux 4.11, QEMU 2.9 and libvirt 3.2.0.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Please CC: me on reply as I'm not subscribed to the list.