RaspberryPi 3 freezes on single user mode (init 1)

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Thu Jul 13 15:40:45 UTC 2017

On 7/13/2017 09:57, bob prohaska wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 04:34:03PM +0200, sVx wrote:
>> I've installed RaspBSD (FreeBSD-aarch64-12.0-GENERIC-320146M.img) on an
>> 4 GB microSD-Card for a RaspberryPi 3. So far it boots and runs fine but I would like to expand the root slice (the only slice)
>> over the full disk space but I cannot enter single user mode.
>>
> Far as I know single user requires a serial console. I'd be pleased to
> learn I'm wrong.

That is correct; you need a serial console cable both for single-user
and to interact with the boot process, should it be necessary (e.g.
problems that prevent coming up in multiuser, such as a corrupt SD card
that fdisk cannot automatically fix, issues that preclude reading the
card or the slice table normally, bad /etc/fstab file, etc)

--
Karl Denninger
karl at denninger.net
/The Market Ticker/