Durable/serious arm hardware ?

Ian Lepore ian at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 22 18:01:41 UTC 2017

On Sun, 2017-01-22 at 11:19 +0100, nowhere wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'd like to hear from the most skilled of you, if anybody knows
> serious
> arm based hardware or share this though : I'm becoming convinced
> that
> theses hardware (arm based) are just the consumable-smartphone
> fashion
> counterpart for kids and leisures or tests. Not really final and
> carefully finished products; abble to works for years or a decade;
> doing
> is job in a office corner, being forgotten  by anyone, like some of
> my
> older freebsd servers wich are running for a decade now.
>

> Those past years, I've bought 3 arm based devices :
>
> 1 raspberry-pi , which was affected by the "micron-ram-chip" bug:
> except
> with debian, it never booted on freebsd (I even tried netbsd): I
> just
> trashed it yesterday (bought in 2014 i think).
>
> 1 Beagleboneblack : works fine for weeks then freeze suddenly. And
> sometimes did not event reboot (*): had to loop-reset it until boot
> process go to the end. Seem the most "workable" product so far..
> (bought
> in 2015)
>
> 1 olimex a20-lime2-emmc: my most recent buy. It did not event boot
> with
> network with it's own debian sd card... (I did not yet take time to
> make
> it's own freebsd sd card): (bought in 2016-07).
>
> My goals, for example, with theses boards were to give some of my
> nomads
> customers, a box with an autonomous dhcp/dns/vpn server on theyr
> networks, without the need to change anything else than disabling
> their
> dhcp servers for instance : I think a Quad xeon racked server is a
> bit
> too much for theses tasks; I was using pfsence on pcengines boards
> before to do this kind of things.
>
> Since my conclusions are based only on theses 3 boards, I'd like to
> hear
> from thoses of you who works daily with these boards, and thoses
> opinion
> are based on far more than my hand counted experiences.
>

> PM.
>

> (*) I work with a 5V/5A (25w) psu: that's not an overloaded psu
> problem;
> Not a damaged emmc/sd card problem too: all my systems are
> read-only-root based: seems to really be an hardware issue.

At $work we create commercial products running freebsd that have a 10
to 20 year (depending on the product) g'teed lifespan in the field.  We
used to use Atmel arm chips on custom-designed mainboards.  Now we use
primarily imx6 SOM modules from Technexion, SolidRun, and soon Boundary
Devices, along with our own custom-designed carrier boards.  The imx6
SOM modules are a bit higher-end than rpi or beaglebone boards.

I would say that basically you have to shop around a bit.  If you buy
ultra-cheap hobbyist hardware such as an rpi, you're going to get what
you pay for.  If you buy the higher-end hardware you can expect the
same kind of quality and lifespan you'd get from x86 hardware (which
doesn't tend to target the hobbyist market so much).

-- Ian