Finally bringing FreeBSD to Parallella

Michal Meloun melounmichal at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 06:56:27 UTC 2017

On 05.01.2017 4:16, Thomas Skibo via freebsd-arm wrote:

>> On Jan 4, 2017, at 4:19 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Would you be able to find the uboot bits that are needed so we can
>> make up a port with the relevant bits? :)
>>

>> -adrian
>
> I haven’t been able to find it.  I did manage to find a Makefile I used to package the second u-boot into the file uImage.
>
> But, I’ve been thinking and maybe it would be easier (and less hokey) if we built a FreeBSD kernel with a static DTB and crammed that into a uImage file.  Do we really need ubldr (which would require a u-boot with CONFIG_API)?
>
> —Thomas

With LINUX_BOOT_ABI option in kernel config file you can boot kernel
directly from uImage and pass right DTB to kernel directly from u-boot.

The following example is what I using for Jetson TK1 board (and it uses
mkubootimage stolen from netbsd).

mkubootimage -A arm -C none -O linux -T kernel -a 0x80200000 -e
0x80200100 -n jetson-tk1 <obj path>/tegra/sys/JETSON-TK1/kernel <obj
path>/tegra/sys/JETSON-TK1/uImage

and from u-boot:

bootp 0x80200000 <IP addr>:/tegra/sys/JETSON-TK1/uImage
bootp 0x80100000 <IP
addr>:/tegra/sys/JETSON-TK1/tegra124-jetson-tk1-fbsd.dtb
setenv bootargs
FreeBSD:boot_single=1,boot_verbose=0,vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ada0s1afdt
addr 0x80100000
fdt boardsetup
fdt chosen
bootm 0x80200000 - 0x80100000