aarch64 on pi3 advice

Nikolai Lifanov lifanov at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 2 18:11:53 UTC 2017

On 01/02/17 07:00, freebsd-arm-request at freebsd.org wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I've installed aarch64/pi3 cross-compiling on an i7 via crochet onto a
> pi3 machine and it seems to work well. Please advise:
>
> 0. I've fount a config.txt in /boot/efi. Where can I set the speed &
> memory/GPU and what's the syntax?
>
> 1. Can I mount /usr/ports on say a usb stick, compile from there and
> expect it to install OK? /usr/ports would be a symlink to
> /32GB-usbkey/ports. I see that ld & ldd are present, so I guess I can
> compile from ports?
>
> 2. I'd like to strip out WITNESS and friends and recompile the kernel.
> Can I do this on the rpi3 and expect it to work? Should I? Or should I
> just do this on the faster i7?
>
> 3. If I have to go down the route of cross-compiling another image on
> the i7, is there a way I can also install a selection of ports to the
> image before using the image on the pi3?
>
> Many thanks
> -- J.

Hi!

There is a GENERIC-NODEBUG snippet for arm64/aarch64, which is what I've
been using. If you go for instructions here, you can make it SMP too:
https://kernelnomicon.org/?p=718. I also use WITH_SHARED_TOOLCHAIN and a
swap file and the rpi3 is completely self-hosting.

You can also use FreeBSD 11 packages if you don't want to compile your own:
# env ABI=FreeBSD:11:aarch64 pkg install aarch64-binutils

- Nikolai Lifanov