Fatal kernel abort

Ian Lepore ian at freebsd.org
Tue Feb 21 21:08:15 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-02-21 at 15:37 -0500, Thomas Laus wrote:
> On 02/21/17 11:01, Ian Lepore wrote:
>

> > I don't use crochet, hardly know anything about it.  But I know a
> > lot
> > of people do use it, so it seems like if it were really creating
> > broken
> > unusable images, other people would have something to say about
> > that.
> >
> I also have not been able to create a Beaglebone Black image using
> crochet since sometime in January of this year.  I just made another
> attempt with FreeBSD-CURRENT R314047.  It stops at the same point as
> Tony Hain:

> Growing root partition to fill device
> GEOM_PART: mmcsd0s2 was automatically resized.
>   Use `gpart commit mmcsd0s2` to save changes or `gpart undo
> mmcsd0s2`
> to revert them.
> gpart: Read-only file system
> gpart: Read-only file system
> growfs: wtfs: write error: 15457272: Read-only file system
> /etc/rc: WARNING: hostid: unable to figure out a UUID from DMI data,
> generating a new one
> Setting hostuuid: 52bf42a6-f870-11e6-a48c-8030dc5e941b.
> Setting hostid: 0xcd97479a.
> No suitable dump device was found.
> Starting file system checks:
> /dev/mmcsd0s2a: FILE SYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
> /dev/mmcsd0s2a: clean, 697863 free (263 frags, 87200 blocks, 0.0%
> fragmentation)
> g_vfs_done():mmcsd0s2a[WRITE(offset=163840, length=32768)]error = 30
> g_vfs_done():mmcsd0s2a[WRITE(offset=20709376, length=4096)]error = 30
> mount: /dev/mmcsd0s2a: Read-only file system
> Mounting root filesystem rw failed, startup aborted
> ERROR: ABORTING BOOT (sending SIGTERM to parent)!
> Feb 21 19:59:59 init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going
> single user mode
> Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
> g_vfs_done():mmcsd0s2a[WRITE(offset=163840, length=32768)]error = 30
>
> Tom

That's a good data point, thanks.

Mid-January, huh?  I'm suddenly remembering that I made changes to
beaglebone sdcard handling around that time... I made the card-detect
pins work correctly so that you could insert an sd card after the
system booted and have it recognized.  Maybe there was some unexpected
side effect to that.

Hmm, and also around the same time, the u-boot port was switched to a
newer version and we started using different dtb files, and I've just
noticed that was another instance of this readonly file system error
reported back then.  I actually flagged that mail to look into it
further, then forgot to follow up.

It suddenly occurs to me that along with the change to card-detect gpio
pins, I also made the code honor write-protect pins (write protect
switches don't exist on microsd cards).  I wonder if something in the
changed dtb files triggered a bug with my gpio write-protect sensing
changes?  I'll have a look and see what I can fix.

-- Ian