Fatal kernel abort (was: r313878M builds mmcsd0s2 as read-only & /etc/fstab is missing)

Tony Hain tony at tndh.net
Tue Feb 21 08:02:05 UTC 2017

Ian Lepore wrote:

> Subject: Re: Fatal kernel abort (was: r313878M builds mmcsd0s2 as
read-only
> & /etc/fstab is missing)
>
> On Mon, 2017-02-20 at 16:38 -0800, Tony Hain wrote:
> > [...]
> > Booting from disk0s2a:
> > [...]
> > Mounting from ufs:/dev/ufs/rootfs failed with error 19.
> > Trying to mount root from ufs:mmcsd0s2 []...
> > [...]
>
> I think that's the trouble right there.  Loader is aware that the rootfs
is s2a,
> then the kernel tries to mount the labeled rootfs (presumably fstab told
it to
> do that), and that fails, and then for some reason it mounts s2, not s2a,
and
> that's not the right partition.
>
> Either add a ufs label to the rootfs, or write fstab in terms of the
actual slice
> and partition.
>
> -- Ian

Thanks for the pointer.  I don't know if it is a change between 11 and 12,
or something in 12 that crochet is failing over, but there is no fstab when
building 12. I can't find any maintainer contact info for crochet, so I am
shooting in the dark here trying to patch together a working system. I
copied an fstab from a working 11 build, but didn't look to see if the
partitions were labeled before I overwrote it with 12. Clearly it was
because the fstab was label based. When I tried gpart modify the partition
to add a label, I got syntax error, and will need to do further research to
figure that out.

I have tried both /dev/mmcsd0s2a and /dev/mmcsd0s2 in fstab, and both are
failing as read-only. They are not marked that way on the media because I
can mount and write files from the crochet system. My first thought was that
something in the boot sequence handing off the device to FreeBSD as
read-only, but when I try to mount the dos partition it fails to mount and I
end up with the kernel panic. When I mounted the dos partition on the
crochet system the only difference I can see between the running BBB and the
dos sector in the BBG card is that the file names are upper case on the
working one and lower case on the failing one. Given that the kernel boots,
the name case is unlikely to affect the mounting of the second partition as
read-only.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.