Out of swap - NOT

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Sat Feb 11 13:54:18 UTC 2017

On 2/11/2017 01:30, freebsd-arm at wynn.com wrote:

> Greeting-
>
> So I have seen this several times on FreeBSD-12 - uname info to follow
>
> FreeBSD bb2.wynn.com 12.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #0 r311461: Fri
> Jan  6 03:13:01 UTC 2017
> root at releng3.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/arm.armv6/usr/src/sys/BEAGLEBONE
> arm
>
> MAKE=make sh ../../../conf/newvers.sh  BEAGLEBONE
> cc -c -O -pipe  -g -nostdinc  -I. -I../../.. -I../../../contrib/libfdt
> - -I../../../gnu/dts/include -D_KERNEL -DHAVE_KERNEL_OPTION_HEADERS
> - -include opt_global.h -march=armv7a -funwind-tables  -ffreestanding
> - -fwrapv -gdwarf-2 -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs
> - -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline
> - -Wcast-qual -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -D__printf__=__freebsd_kprintf__
> - -Wmissing-include-dirs -fdiagnostics-show-option -Wno-unknown-pragmas
> - -Wno-error-tautological-compare -Wno-error-empty-body
> - -Wno-error-parentheses-equality -Wno-error-unused-function
> - -Wno-error-pointer-sign -Wno-error-shift-negative-value  -mfpu=none
> - -std=iso9899:1999 -Werror  vers.c ctfconvert -L VERSION -g vers.o
> linking kernel.full ctfmerge -L VERSION -g -o kernel.full ... ***
> Signal 9
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /export/src/sys/arm/compile/BEAGLEBONE
> root at bb2:/sys/arm/compile/BEAGLEBONE #
>
> pid 24523 (ctfmerge), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
> pid 21365 (make), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
> pid 38527 (ctfmerge), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
> [wynkoop at bb2 ~]$
>

> I have run the kernel build several times and this is always the
> result.  I also had an rsync killed for out of swap.  The interesting
> part is that at no time did I really run out of swap.  This is on an
> original BeagleBone with 256M of ram and 768M of swap.  At no time did
> pstat or top in another window report that all the swap was used.  In
> fact swap use never got above 10%.
>
> I have been using BSD since the early 1980's and have never seen a
> system report a process being killed for out of swap when there is
> still plenty of swap before now.
>
> Ideas?
>
> - -Brett
> - --
>
> wynkoop at wynn.com
> 917-642-6925
> 929-272-0000

In all probability it's really out.  Remember that RAM allocation has to
either come from physical RAM or swap.  If the requested allocation
cannot be made then you get this exact situation, and it happens quickly
enough that you won't see it most of the time with monitoring tools.

What's probably biting you is temporary file space, which comes from RAM
since it's mounted on a ramdisk, and exhausts it.  I've run into this
same situation trying to build on a Pi2.

My recommendation? Connect a USB disk drive to the system and put a swap
partition on there. Or cross-compile (which is what I do) on a nice big
AMD64 box since that is MUCH faster.

--
Karl Denninger
karl at denninger.net <mailto:karl at denninger.net>