NanoBSD config script for RPI2

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Sat Feb 4 18:57:19 UTC 2017

On 2/4/2017 10:38, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 5:55 AM, Karl Denninger <karl at denninger.net> wrote:
>> It fails here during image create....
>>
>> Populating `/pics/CrossBuild/embedded/rpi2/_.s2'
>> Image `/pics/CrossBuild/embedded/rpi2/_.s2' complete
>> + [ -n s1 ]
>> + eval 's1=fat16b'
>> + s1=fat16b
>> + out=/pics/CrossBuild/embedded/images/_.disk.image.HD-MCP
>> + mkimg -a 3 -s mbr -p 'fat16b:=/pics/CrossBuild/embedded/rpi2/_.s1' -p
>> 'freebsd
>> :=/pics/CrossBuild/embedded/rpi2/_.s2' -p
>> 'freebsd:=/pics/CrossBuild/embedded/rp
>> i2/_.s3' -o /pics/CrossBuild/embedded/images/_.disk.image.HD-MCP
>> mkimg: invalid option -- a
>> mkimg: error: unknown option
>>
>> usage: mkimg <options>
>>         --formats       -  list image formats
>>         --schemes       -  list partition schemes
>>         --version       -  show version information
>>
>>         -b <file>       -  file containing boot code
>>         -c <num>        -  capacity (in bytes) of the disk
>>         -f <format>
>>         -o <file>       -  file to write image into
>>         -p <partition>
>>         -s <scheme>
>>         -v              -  increase verbosity
>>         -y              -  [developers] enable unit test
>>         -H <num>        -  number of heads to simulate
>>         -P <num>        -  physical sector size
>>         -S <num>        -  logical sector size
>>         -T <num>        -  number of tracks to simulate
>>
>>     formats:
>>         qcow    -  QEMU Copy-On-Write, version 1
>>         qcow2   -  QEMU Copy-On-Write, version 2
>>         raw     -  Raw Disk
>>         vhd     -  Virtual Hard Disk
>>         vhdf    -  Fixed Virtual Hard Disk
>>         vmdk    -  Virtual Machine Disk
>>
>>     schemes:
>>         apm     -  Apple Partition Map
>>         bsd     -  BSD disk label
>>         ebr     -  Extended Boot Record
>>         gpt     -  GUID Partition Table
>>         mbr     -  Master Boot Record
>>         pc98    -  PC-9800 disk partitions
>>         vtoc8   -  SMI VTOC8 disk labels
>>
>> Is the "-a" flag attempting to set the active partition?  It appears
>> there's no option to do that in mkimg...
> Install a newer mkimg:
>
> Revision 307550 - (view) (download) (annotate) - [select for diffs]
> Modified Tue Oct 18 05:43:12 2016 UTC (3 months, 2 weeks ago) by imp
> File length: 3730 byte(s)
> Diff to previous 307544
>
> Add a new flag to mkimg (-a num) to specify the active partition for
> those partitioning schemes that have this concept. Implement it as an
> override for mbr's setting 0x80 in the flags for the first partition
> when we have boot code.
>
> Differential Revision: https://reviews.freebsd.org/D4403
>
> Though maybe I should try to add it to the bootstrap tools so I can
> use a new one after the build.
>
> Warner

root at NewFS:/disk/karl # uname -v
FreeBSD 11.0-STABLE #15 r312669M: Mon Jan 23 14:01:03 CST 2017
karl at NewFS.denninger.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KSD-SMP
root at NewFS:/disk/karl # which mkimg
/usr/bin/mkimg
root at NewFS:/disk/karl # pkg install mkimg
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'mkimg' have been found
in the repositories
root at NewFS:/disk/karl #

So.... it's part of base and there is no obvious package (a check for
ports in */*mkimg* fails too); my system is current as of Jan 23....

(As an aside I think if I remove the -a it may work on the Pi, since the
Pi will try to boot the first partition which happens to be DOS -- I
think.  I'll try it.)

--
Karl Denninger
karl at denninger.net <mailto:karl at denninger.net>