FreeBSD user home directory

Glen Barber gjb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 20 22:31:18 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 04:19:32PM -0600, Russell Haley wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 4:06 PM, Glen Barber <gjb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >>  Which seems to me to still be in error as there are now TWO home directories.
> >>

> > This seems strange.  On one of my boards, /usr/home does not exist.
> >
> >  freebsd at rpi2:~ % ls /usr/home
> >  ls: /usr/home: No such file or directory
> >
> > In addition, look at the timestamp of your /usr/home.
> >
> > Could you do an ls(1) in there?  I'm curious what added that.
>
> There is no files in the /usr/home directory.
>
> freebsd at imx6:/usr/home% ls -l
> total 0
>
> Both /usr/home and /home were created on July 2, which was the day I
> created the sd card (I think, the image was posted on July 1).

Hmm, even stranger.  I wonder if this was somehow created when you first
logged into the system.  The timestamp change for /home makes sense,
since all of the dot-files (.cshrc, etc.) are populated from the
skeleton (/usr/share/skel) on first login.

You may have discovered a bug somewhere, I'm not sure where yet.

> > Anyway, this is easy to fix.
>
> >> Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention when generating users but
> >> I could have sworn that all previous users I create went under
> >> /usr/home (I know, I'm being pedantic if the symlink exists).
> >>

> > Well, no, you're not being pedantic.  This is a "what does the user
> > expect" issue.  Thank you for the report.
> >
> > I'll look into this a bit more.
>
> Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this.

Glen