Bizarre clone attempt failures on Raspberry Pi2...

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Fri Jul 15 20:10:57 UTC 2016

On 7/15/2016 15:00, Paul Mather wrote:

> I agree with most everything you say above.  AFAIK, FreeBSD/arm officially becomes "Tier 1" with 11.0-RELEASE.  When that happens, I figure "robustness" will be more at the forefront of development as it becomes more mainstream due to that appellation.
Which was the point of the PR -- to improve robustness.  Incidentally it
appears (which I also posted on) that u-Boot has fixed the USB keyboard
problem, but it's a bit more complex than it first appears to slot it
for cross-compilation properly -- my first "cheap" attempt (grab it via
git, run configure, see what you get) failed.

Some attention ought to be put there for obvious reasons.
> For me, all I can say is my hat is off to the FreeBSD/arm developers who have improved the stability and usability of FreeBSD/arm just over the last year.  It has improved immensely.  Thank you one and all!
To put some parameters on this I have two PI2s that have *yet* to crash
on 11-Current and that I recently rolled forward to 11-BETA1, which is
how I got bit since I was trying to set up a "master" for that purpose.

Those machines had been cranking along doing their jobs for upwards of
three months and were last shut down for a code update.  I've yet to see
one blow up from other than a hard write error to the sd card.

--
Karl Denninger
karl at denninger.net <mailto:karl at denninger.net>