Bizarre clone attempt failures on Raspberry Pi2...

Rodney W. Grimes freebsd-rwg at pdx.rh.CN85.ChatUSA.com
Fri Jul 15 19:00:49 UTC 2016

> On Fri, 2016-07-15 at 10:29 -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > [trimmed]]

> > > Maybe it should be filed as a "feature request" rather than a
> > > "bug."  Does Bugzilla support the distinction?
> > >
> > > I agree with Ian that this is not a bug in the sense that anyone
> > > installing from the distributed images will never trigger it on
> > > their install media.
> >
> > So its not a bug because it doesnt happen at install time?  Thanks,
> > we can
> > now go close 80% of the PR's as non bugs cause they dont happen in
> > the
> > install image.
> >

> Excuse me?
>
> It's not a bug because:  It's not a bug.  Go download one of the rpi
> snapshot or release images.  Burn it.  Boot it.  It works.

That only proves a tiny fraction of the caseses, again as I said if
this proves that things are not a bug then lets go close 80% of our
PR's cause this case does not trigger them.

> Now go randomly change something.  For example, reformat and repopulate
> the card in a way that conflicts with what's in /etc/fstab, but don't
> change fstab to match.  Now it doesn't work.  In your mind, that's a
> bug?

Yes, abosolutely, because the system failed in a way that appeared silent
to the user, IE, the error message went to someplace other than where
the user is going to be looking for it.  As I said, we also need to
create a PR that we dont tell the user to go hook a serial console up
and look for failures when boot does not seem to be working.  Spitting
out most of boot time to vidconsole, then having /etc/rc output go
someplace else is not an expected behavior.

It ALSO failed for no real good solid compelling must have reason,
just because a user MAY want to access the msdos after booting, it
is NOT mandatory.  Again robustness here.

> A bug that should be fixed by changing fstab in our distributed
> images to ignore failures to mount the filesystems contained in the
> image?

Certainly, if the system well operate without that file system, making
it easier to repair what has gone wrong.   Saving someone else from the
hours of debug that Karl has spent tracking down what went wrong that
would be what I would call an priceless improvement to the system.

Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes at freebsd.org