Updating RPI2 from 11-CURRENT to RELENG_11

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Mon Aug 15 19:15:59 UTC 2016

On 8/15/2016 13:44, Toby wrote:
> On 13/08/16 22:37, Warner Losh wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Toby <misc.lists at fsck.ch> wrote:
>>
>> 20160517:
>>         The armv6 port now defaults to hard float ABI. Limited support
>>         for running both hardfloat and soft float on the same system
>>         is available using the libraries installed with -DWITH_LIBSOFT.
>>         This has only been tested as an upgrade path for installworld
>>         and packages may fail or need manual intervention to run. New
>>         packages will be needed.
>>
>>         To update an existing self-hosted armv6hf system, you must add
>>         TARGET_ARCH=armv6 on the make command line for both the build
>>         and the install steps
>> Short answer is that you'll need to re-install all packages because of this.
>> They will work for a while, but as updates happen 'cross threading' can
>> occur if the updates are partial unless you specifically do special things.
>> Only extreme special needs use cases will be affected (like having only
>> binaries linked against the soft float ABI libraries).
>>
>> Warner
> Thanks for the explanation. My buildworld is now done and I'll update
> the packages
> over the next few days.
>
> Toby
Beware that you can get some very odd, and not-at-all-obvious bad
results from a mismatch between hard-float and soft-float applications
.vs. system environment.

In some (but not all) cases you'll get an abort and warning when you try
to run the mismatched application.

In others, however, you'll instead get an application that runs but
produces incorrect floating-point output!

I have stuck some init-time traps into a couple of my applications to
attempt to detect this; it's a very real risk if there are "leftover"
programs laying around and one that bit me pretty good when the armv6hf
switch went away in favor of always being hardware-fp.

--
Karl Denninger
karl at denninger.net <mailto:karl at denninger.net>