Raspberry Pi B stuck during boot?

Paul Mather paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu
Sun Aug 7 14:54:46 UTC 2016

> On Aug 7, 2016, at 6:09 AM, René Ladan <rene at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> On 06-08-16 16:23, Bernd Walter wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 06, 2016 at 03:06:20PM +0200, René Ladan wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> With recent versions of 11 (alpha3 and beta3) my raspberry b gets stuck
>>> near the end of the boot. I checked the SD card and updated it to 11-beta3
>>> using these commands (if I remember correctly, but nothing unusual):
>>>
>>> % make buildworld TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=armv6
>>> % make buildkernel KERNCONF=RPI-B TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=armv6
>>> # make installworld TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=armv6 DESTDIR=/mnt
>>> # make installkernel TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=armv6 DESTDIR=/mnt
>>> KERNCONF=RPI-B
>>> # make delete-old TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=armv6 DESTDIR=/mnt
>>> # make delete-old-libs TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=armv6 DESTDIR=/mnt
>>> # mergemaster -A armv6 -D /mnt -p
>>> # mergemaster -A armv6 -D /mnt -U -i
>>>
>>> See https://rene-ladan.nl/IMG_20160804_193031.jpg for a phone picture of
>>> the TV screen where it gets stuck.
>>>
>>> Any ideas if what could be wrong?
>> It might be hanging in single user mode prompt on serial console.
>>
> So if I would disable serial console in /etc/ttys it should be fine?

The phone picture of the screen showed a "WARNING: / was not properly dismounted" line in the boot messages.  It could be that the system has dropped into single-user mode because of this (i.e., fsck -p failed and thus so did multi-user boot).

> It still hangs with only the "console" and "ttyv0" entries "on" in
> /etc/ttys, the rest is "off", but it used to work fine.

I suggest you fsck your SD card file systems so they are clean before troubleshooting further.

Cheers,

Paul.