netboot configuration [was: Re: NFS Root with Raspberry Pi (nfs_diskless: no interface)]

Daniel Braniss danny at cs.huji.ac.il
Wed Sep 30 07:39:31 UTC 2015

> On 29 Sep 2015, at 19:05, Ian Lepore <ian at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 2015-09-29 at 12:24 +0300, Daniel Braniss wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Hmmm.  What stuff from crochet?  The two components that are in play
>>> here are u-boot itself (it contains the low-level network drivers that
>>> ubldr uses -- it's effectively acting as a bios for ubldr), and ubldr
>>> which contains the higher-level network code.
>>>
>>> In theory ubldr should be the same in both cases; nothing much has
>>> changed in the loader code for months.  But there are different paths
>>> through the code depending on how it gets the network parms, and I could
>>> easily have glitched something when I added the feature that lets you
>>> set the config with u-boot env vars.
>>>
>>> The u-boot might be different between a crochet and ports build.  They
>>> both start with gonzo's u-boot 2013.10 sources, but crochet probably has
>>> a slightly different set of patches it applies.
>>>
>>> -- Ian
>>>

>> with the old uboot it boots ok, with the newer/modified it stops at random
>> places reading via udp/nfs/v3 the kernel. it loads correctly all the *.4th files,
>> then starts reading the kernel, and hangs after a random time.
>>

> I have found that if I let u-boot get an ip address via dhcp then the
> load of the kernel in ubldr never fails (I've had it reboot-looping for
> 24 hours now without a hang).  But without letting u-boot do the dhcp
> thing it hangs pretty much every time.  Substituting a ping <serverip>
> for the dhcp isn't enough to make it reliable.
>
> I've stopped debugging that whole mess for now to have a quick check
> whether the very latest mainline u-boot (2015.10-rc4) is able to
> netboot.  It sure would be nice to use something modern that has already
> been debugged by others. :)

there is definitely an issue with the net driver in the newer/ports u-boot.
	- tftpboot sometimes works :-)
	- same with nfs

via dhcp:
	it should not try tftp load filename if none is supplied, i.e. defaulting to
	<mac-address>.img is wrong!

	i got ubldr loaded via tftp and then bootelf got it running.
	the loaded kernel complained:
		No valid device tree blob found!
	I guess some of the environmet variables got lost

my network is quiet busy, may be thats a factor?