Building Less?

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Mon Sep 28 19:52:36 UTC 2015

John-Mark Gurney:
> Russell Haley wrote this message on Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 21:21 -0700:
>> The option should be included in the man pages for build:
>>
>> https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=build&sektion=7&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+10.2-RELEASE
>
> [great additions]
>
> I agree that this needs better documentation...  If you send me a patch,
> I'll make sure it's marked up properly and committed...
>
> Thanks!
>
>> On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 9:06 PM, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
>>
>>> src.conf is only used to build /usr/src. src.con(5) documents that.
>>> build(5) has a pointer.

On a related note, I submitted this last year after some offline
discussions with Tim and others:

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=build&sektion=7&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+10.2-RELEASE

Of course src.conf(5) is useful enough as it is, but a populated file
makes sense to me, at least for crochet, since it can easily be
explicitly referenced in the script.  I don't think the *average* x86
server builder is concerned with removing bluetooth, floppy support, ipf
from base, but I think for those with SoC and embedded hardware, it does
matter.

The point is, it might be worth having a fully commented, comprehensive
/etc/src.conf file in place, at least for crochet.