netboot configuration [was: Re: NFS Root with Raspberry Pi (nfs_diskless: no interface)]

Daniel Braniss danny at cs.huji.ac.il
Sun Sep 27 16:25:58 UTC 2015

> On Sep 27, 2015, at 7:14 PM, Ian Lepore <ian at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 2015-09-27 at 14:15 +0300, Daniel Braniss wrote:

>>> I just committed the diskless fix, r288265.  It should only be needed
>>> for RPi and other systems with a usb-based NIC that initializes late in
>>> the boot process.
>> tested, and it works.
>>

>>> All the u-boot ports have the UserPreboot hook in their env.  Are you
>>> using an old copy of crochet?  (Hmmm, or has crochet never been updated
>>> to use the u-boot ports/packages for all the boards?)
>>>
>> I compiled the u-boot-rpi from ports,
>> the good news:
>> 	it understands UserPreboot
>> the bad news:
>> 	the nfs boot gets stuck after a while.
>>
>> after much trial and error, this is what I do:
>> 	hit a key to enter U-Boot
>> then type:
>> 	setenv loaderdev net
>> 	boot
>>
>> attaching the console:
>
> I was also experiencing intermittant lockups while loader loads the
> kernel.  I just wrote it off to failing hardware (I powered my rpi on
> for the first time in 6-8 months to work on this), since I've never had
> a problem with netbooting before (it's the only way I've ever booted the
> rpi).  If it's not just my board going bad, then that's a bit of a
> mystery.  The only other difference here from what I've always done is
> setting rootpath and other net config in u-boot instead of letting ubldr
> get it from dhcp.

with the stuff from crochet it works, same setup! I am sniffing the net via
wireshark, and it stops at different positions in the kernel file,
so the settings of rootpath and other configs are irrelevant.
the transfer is being done via udp/nfs/v3 (hence added ric :-) maybe
he can see something we don’t.

>>> Do you want it to load ubldr via tftp instead of from the sdcard?
>> not sure what i want :-), with traditional pxe capable bioses, the boot/dhcp
>> has 2 stages, first if vendor id is set to PXEClient it sets filename to pxeboot,
>> then pxeboot sets vendor id to FreeBSD, and a whole bunch of other stuff
>> is provided, like root-path, etc.
>>
>> in the case of rpi, if dhcp does not provide a filename, it goes an tries
>> to tftp load a nnnnnnn.img!
>>

> That nnnnnnnn stuff is the board's mac address encoded as ascii-hex
> iirc, (but without the leading 0x), so that you can load a different
> image per board.

i know, it goes back to SunOS days …