some general questions regarding freebsd on rasp pi

John freebsd-lists at potato.growveg.org
Thu Sep 3 14:16:32 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 02:49:31PM +0100, John wrote:

> Just need to update ports and start building what I need. One answer i've not been able
> to find - is it easy to clock the pi under freebsd? Looking for 1GHz
> (think the ram is half this)

in the grand tradition of answering myself, the way to do this with the rasp 2

hw.cpufreq.turbo=1
dev.cpu.0.freq=900

in /etc/sysctl.conf and reboot, or modify them directly. Now i have:

# sysctl hw.cpufreq
hw.cpufreq.temperature: 43312
hw.cpufreq.voltage_sdram_p: 1200000
hw.cpufreq.voltage_sdram_i: 1200000
hw.cpufreq.voltage_sdram_c: 1200000
hw.cpufreq.voltage_core: 1312500
hw.cpufreq.turbo: 1
hw.cpufreq.sdram_freq: 450000000
hw.cpufreq.core_freq: 250000000
hw.cpufreq.arm_freq: 900000000

and

# sysctl dev.cpu
dev.cpu.3.%parent: cpulist0
dev.cpu.3.%pnpinfo: name=cpu at 3 compat=arm,cortex-a7
dev.cpu.3.%location:
dev.cpu.3.%driver: cpu
dev.cpu.3.%desc: Open Firmware CPU
dev.cpu.2.%parent: cpulist0
dev.cpu.2.%pnpinfo: name=cpu at 2 compat=arm,cortex-a7
dev.cpu.2.%location:
dev.cpu.2.%driver: cpu
dev.cpu.2.%desc: Open Firmware CPU
dev.cpu.1.%parent: cpulist0
dev.cpu.1.%pnpinfo: name=cpu at 1 compat=arm,cortex-a7
dev.cpu.1.%location:
dev.cpu.1.%driver: cpu
dev.cpu.1.%desc: Open Firmware CPU
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 42.2C
dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 900/-1 600/-1
dev.cpu.0.freq: 900
dev.cpu.0.%parent: cpulist0
dev.cpu.0.%pnpinfo: name=cpu at 0 compat=arm,cortex-a7
dev.cpu.0.%location:
dev.cpu.0.%driver: cpu
dev.cpu.0.%desc: Open Firmware CPU
dev.cpu.%parent:

not sure if it can be cranked any more. Any ideas?
--
John