Installing or booting FreeBSD 10.2 on BeagleBone Black

Mike Brown mike at skew.org
Wed Oct 21 01:46:28 UTC 2015

Leonardo,

As someone mentioned, when starting out, it's best to watch the console at
boot. On FreeBSD 10 on the BBB, you must use an FTDI cable and you will see
the console via a terminal emulator on another computer. If you only have an
HDMI cable connected to a monitor, you will need to use FreeBSD 11-CURRENT,
because HDMI support is not in 10-STABLE yet (I think).

If you're already set up with the FTDI cable and a terminal emulator, sorry;
it wasn't clear from your message what you've tried.

You should also be aware that if you're using an image from
<ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/arm/armv6/ISO-IMAGES/>, the first
boot will be rather slow as it grows the root partition and does additional
one-time configuration of the disk. But eventually it should finish and emit a
login prompt at the console. After it has done all that setup, bootups will go
much faster.

I am documenting my experiences with the BBB at
https://offset.skew.org/wiki/User:Mjb/BeagleBone_Black
and
https://offset.skew.org/wiki/User:Mjb/FreeBSD_on_BeagleBone_Black

The first document is just about the device in general. It has a section re:
accessing the console via the FTDI cable and a Windows PC, if you're not sure
how to do that.

The second document is my notes on running FreeBSD on the BBB, and is updated
frequently as I get further along. The document is actually 95% general info
for getting started with FreeBSD 10. I hope you find it useful.

Mike