No subject

Tim Kientzle tim at kientzle.com
Sun May 10 02:03:40 UTC 2015

> On May 9, 2015, at 6:54 PM, Luis Alberto Gonzalez Alvarez <alberto.bsd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ​Hi everybody.
>
> I​'m building a base system for an arm platform,

Which one?

> based this guide
> http://people.freebsd.org/~cognet/arm.html <http://people.freebsd.org/~cognet/arm.html>

Those instructions are *very* out of date.  There are much
simpler approaches now.

If you want to do it “the hard way”, the basic outline is just:

$ cd /usr/src
$ make TARGET_ARCH=armv6 TARGET=arm buildworld
$ make TARGET_ARCH=armv6 TARGET=arm buildkernel

(TARGET_ARCH and TARGET here may vary depending on the particular board you’re targeting.)

To build a filesystem image suitable for booting, you’ll need to install world onto it:

$ make TARGET_ARCH=armv6 TARGET=arm DESTDIR=my_base_dir installworld

Then you need to figure out what to do with the kernel and what boot bits are needed by your particular board.  This varies a lot from system to system.

If you don’t want to do it the hard way:

FreeBSD’s release engineers are publishing stock images
for several popular boards that you can just download and run.

The Crochet tool knows how to build complete, customized
bootable images for a variety of boards.

Cheers,

Tim