How to use u-boot-beaglebone port?

Paul Mather paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu
Tue Mar 17 13:55:11 UTC 2015

On Mar 16, 2015, at 3:39 PM, Ian Lepore <ian at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2015-03-15 at 19:57 -0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>>> On Mar 12, 2015, at 5:59 PM, Paul Mather <paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Has anyone successfully used the sysutils/u-boot-beaglebone port?
>>>
>>> I managed to build [1] and install it today.  I tried to install it to the SD card FAT partition, as per the README, and the result was an unbootable system.
>>>
>>> When I copied the u-boot.img file as u-boot.img (rather than the bb-uboot.img as suggested in the README), I got it to start up to the "U-Boot#" prompt.
>>

>> Apparently, no one ever patched the port to use bb-uboot.img and bb-ubldr
>> as the name.
>>
>> I did this in Crochet when I was experimenting with having multiple
>> U-Boots on a single SD card image.  That experiment was to try
>> to see what would be required to build single images that booted on
>> multiple different devices.
>>

> When I created the u-boot-beaglebone port I specifically removed that
> bb- prefix stuff, because there will never be a unified image that runs
> on both rpi and beaglebone [*].  I had hoped someone would update
> crochet to use the new ports and this is one of the minor changes that
> would be needed on the crochet side.
>
> -- Ian
>
> [*] Because armv6 != armv7 in this case.  While armv6 is synonymous with
> armv7 for most purposes in freebsd, the rpi is the exception to that in
> that it really IS armv6, and that leads to the kernel being built with
> different cache maintenance routines that don't work on armv7.

Does the sysutils/u-boot-beaglebone boot the BeagleBone Black for you?  As I reported earlier in the start to this thread, I can't get it to boot the system for me.

I've copied MLO, u-boot.img, and /boot/ubldr to the FAT partition, but I just get to where U-Boot loads ubldr and then pauses before starting over again in a loop.

Are there some other files that need to be copied to the FAT partition, or are those three files, plus the defaults compiled into u-boot.img sufficient to boot the BeagleBone Black from SD card?

Cheers,

Paul.