[Differential] [Updated] D2017: Allow to disable alignment faults in the kernel configuration file

imp (Warner Losh) phabric-noreply at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 8 21:09:09 UTC 2015

imp added a comment.

>>! In D2017#6, @ian wrote:
> I think if this option is set we may need to notice that and set __NO_STRICT_ALIGNMENT accordingly (I'm not sure how/where that gets set).

__NO_STRICT_ALIGNMENT gets set in machine/_types.h right now.

However, it can not be set based on kernel options because it is shared with user land. It is supposed
to describe all users of the architecture. Since we have no clue what kernel will be used, we'd have
to assume all or nothing based on, say, the architecture level.

I'm not familiar enough with all the implications at the hardware level to know what ARM32_DISABLE_ALIGNMENT_FAULTS would really do, so I can't say if making it default is a good idea or not.

REVISION DETAIL
  https://reviews.freebsd.org/D2017

To: zbb, ian, andrew, imp
Cc: freebsd-arm