armv6 vs armv6hf

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Jun 29 01:46:28 UTC 2015

> On Jun 28, 2015, at 6:33 PM, Tim Kientzle <tim at kientzle.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 26, 2015, at 10:48 AM, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Jun 26, 2015, at 6:00 AM, Manuel Stühn <freebsdnewbie at freenet.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> according to https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/crossbuild, "[..]armv6
>>> architecture is being deprecated in favor of armv6hf, which gives better
>>> floating point performance."
>>>
>>> What is the expected time when FreeBSD officially switches to armv6hf?
>>
>> I expect we’ll pull the switch in armv6 without changing the name
>> by the end of July.
>
> Would that break native upgrades?
>
> (I’m not necessarily objecting, just curious.)

No. It wouldn’t for a number of reasons. First, you can often mix
hard-float and soft-float libraries with no ill effect tot he upgrade
process (though not always). Second, I’ve implemented code in
the run time linker to link in the correct hard vs soft libraries. Third,
I’ve implemented a libsoft that’s like lib32 so you can run both
types of binaries on the same system, if you need to for some
reason.

In fact, its so that the upgrade process results in better behavior
that I’ve gone down this path. I have a few loose ends still to tidy
up on this, but haven’t had the time to push it through to
completion.

Warner