RPI2 hanging during boot

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Jun 15 17:40:02 UTC 2015

> On Jun 15, 2015, at 4:51 AM, Jukka Ukkonen <jau789 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Has anyone else seen this happening after rebuilding the system
> for an RPI2 from 11.x/head source during the last few days?
> I think I noticed this on Friday, the 12th.
>
> The boot simply freezes after having said...
>
> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/mmcsd0s2a []...
> warning: no time-of-day clock registered, system time will not be set
> accurately
>
> Then nothing happens, no more messages, no progress.
> I am quite positive that at least the source code of the
> previous weekend (June 5th-7th) still booted just fine on
> my RPI2 when I had rebuilt the system.
>
> For a long there were no problems at all during the boot, and
> suddenly these odd hangs began a few days ago  when I rebuilt
> the system from the latest source. Since then I have updated
> my local source code from the svn repository a few times and
> tried rebuilding again. The boot time freeze still remains,
> though. The latest attempt was done using svn revision 284408.
>
> I hope this rings some bells to somebody.

The latest snapshot from the first few days of the month works
for me, which makes sense because I think it was from June 6th.
Maybe you could do a binary search to see where booting fails.
There’s only 9 days in that window, and only about a thousand
commits. Since it is a hang in the handoff to user land, I think you
could easily just compile the kernel to see.

I also was able to boot on RPI2 a kernel I built at BSDcan from
sources from June 5th. I’ll update to see if I see this too.

Warner