Building U-Boot

Tim Kientzle tim at kientzle.com
Sat Oct 18 19:17:37 UTC 2014

On Oct 17, 2014, at 10:58 PM, Russell Haley <russ.haley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I'm trying to build u-boot from the instructions that Mr. Paulo
> left here:
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Digi-CCWMX53
>
> This is the error I get:
>
> russell at FreeArm2:/usr/u-boot% gmake ccwmx53js_config
> arm-linux-gcc: not found
> arm-linux-gcc: not found

U-Boot's build system tries to run the cross-gcc as ${CROSS_COMPILE}gcc.

CROSS_COMPILE defaults to "arm-linux-" which is appropriate only if you're building on Linux.  The FreeBSD equivalent is armv6-freebsd-gcc (assuming you've installed xdev and xdev-links).

The full command I use to configure U-Boot:

gmake SED=gsed HOSTCC=cc CROSS_COMPILE=armv6-freebsd-   ccwmx53js_config

SED=gsed -- U-Boot build relies on some idiosyncrasies of GNU sed; you may need to install textproc/gsed first.

HOSTCC=cc  -- U-Boot builds some tools that run on the build host; those tools can compile with clang or gcc equally well

CROSS_COMPILE=/usr/armv6-freebsd/usr/bin/   may work slightly better by not requiring xdev-links.