[RFC] Add and armv7hf TARGET_ARCH

Andrew Turner andrew at fubar.geek.nz
Mon Oct 6 12:46:41 UTC 2014

I'm interested in peoples opinion on creating a new TARGET_ARCH to
target ARMv7 SoCs. This will target all the current Cortex-A chips we
support but not the Raspberry Pi. My intention with this is to have it
become the tier 1 arm platform.

This platform will support 32-bit Cortex-A based SoCs with a VFP
unit. As it would be targeting ARMv7 we could look at supporting
Thumb-2.

As the VFP unit is optional and future SoCs without it will only be
supported by the armv6 TARGET_ARCH, however I would expect almost all
ARMv7 designs to include it.

There is a downside to this, and as far as I know the problems are:
 * It could be confusing to figure out which TARGET_ARCH you need.
 * The Raspberry Pi will not be supported as its core is too old.

I've attached my patch to build as armv7hf. It has been tested on a
Wandboard Quad.

Comments?

Andrew