TRIM on SD cards

Tim Kientzle tim at kientzle.com
Sat May 31 17:43:51 UTC 2014

On May 31, 2014, at 9:45 AM, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

>  I never have liked DD for creating images, even when LBAs ruled the day because you’d always have to grow/shrink the FS afterwards.

A few of us have been experimenting with having
growfs run automatically on first boot.  Seems to work okay,
it just requires a couple of iterations to figure out the "proper"
minimal FS size to start with.

If the FS is minimally sized, then there aren't many empty
blocks to worry about.

The big advantage of DD images is that there are plentiful
tools for Windows, Mac, etc, that can splat them onto a
USB stick or SD card.

Tim