what's the updated command(s) to build a toolchain for r-pi!

Jordan Hubbard jkh at mail.turbofuzz.com
Sat Jul 26 06:46:14 UTC 2014

On Jul 25, 2014, at 11:37 PM, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Why do you need the xdev toolchain for building world? Just make buildworld TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=armv6 will do the trick.

Sorry, I was being a bit too vague there I see.  I either use crochet (or the non-crochet tools, since crochet is broken for me right now) to create bootable .img’s that I can then simply copy to an SD / CF card and boot on the rpi or, as a distinct second choice, I use the rpi to self-host its updating process by building on it.   You’re right (and it hadn’t really occurred to me) that I could also just do the buildworld / buildkernel on an intel box and then mount /usr/obj and do the installworld / installkernel on the rpi.   It’s still no substitute for crochet in creating entire new images, but certainly better than nothing, and I guess I could always update the image in-place and then copy it back the other way for cloning purposes.

Hmmm.  Thanks for the suggestion. :)  That will save me some time.

- Jordan