RPi-B buildworld times

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jul 25 16:15:31 UTC 2014

On Jul 25, 2014, at 3:31 AM, Anton Shterenlikht <mexas at bris.ac.uk> wrote:

> Not too bad:

>        20h38m1.24s real                14h23m1.10s user                5h39m33.56s sys
>    137532  maximum resident set size
>       453  average shared memory size
>       430  average unshared data size
>       127  average unshared stack size
>  69240972  page reclaims
>     10861  page faults
>      1806  swaps
>     54536  block input operations
>      4511  block output operations
>         0  messages sent
>         0  messages received
>         0  signals received
>   1266548  voluntary context switches
>  13248916  involuntary context switches
>
> This is with:
>
> # cat /etc/make.conf
> # for armv6
> WITH_GCC=yes
> WITH_GNUCXX=yes
> WITH_GCC_BOOTSTRAP=yes
> WITHOUT_CLANG=yes
> WITHOUT_CLANG_IS_CC=yes
> WITHOUT_CLANG_BOOTSTRAP=yes
> # end for armv6

Cool (sorry about the hassle on the compiler specification, new goodness coming on that front)

20 hours! Wow! My 486DX33 with 32MB RAM was able to buildworld (granted FreeBSD 1.1) in about 16 or 17 hours (8 or 9 if I disabled a boatload of junk I never used).

Of course, that same box would almost not be able to run FreeBSD today, let alone do a buildworld with the big-bloated pig dogs of gcc and clang… :)

Warner