C++ exceptions in freebsd-arm doesn't seem to work

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Jul 20 00:20:13 UTC 2014

On Jun 7, 2014, at 9:55 AM, Ian Lepore <ian at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2014-06-07 at 14:12 +0200, Olavi Kumpulainen wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> If this question has been discussed before, sorry. I couldn´t find anything when scanning through the archives though.
>>
>> So, I´m running FreeBSD-10/stable on a RPI version B as you can see here;
>>

>> Copyright (c) 1992-2014 The FreeBSD Project.
>> Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
>>        The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
>> FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
>> FreeBSD 10.0-STABLE #0 r266807: Thu May 29 07:07:08 UTC 2014
>>    root at grind.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/arm.armv6/usr/src/sys/RPI-B arm
>> FreeBSD clang version 3.4.1 (tags/RELEASE_34/dot1-final 208032) 20140512
>>

>> I have this little program;
>>
>> $ cat t.cc
>>
>> #include <stdexcept>
>> #include <iostream>
>>
>> void func()
>> {
>> 	throw std::exception();
>> }
>>

>> int main()
>> {
>> 	std::cout << "Starting throw-test" << std::endl;
>>
>> 	try
>> 	{
>> 		func();
>> 	}
>> 	catch(std::exception){
>> 		std::cout << “In my exception handler" << std::endl;
>> 	}
>>        catch(...) {
>>                std::cout << "In catch-all handler" << std::endl;
>>        }
>>
>> 	return 0;
>> }
>>
>> With this Makefile;
>>
>> $ cat Makefile
>>
>> all : t
>>
>> t : t.cc
>> 	c++ -o t -fexceptions t.cc
>>

>> Running the above produces the following result;
>>
>> $ ./t
>> Starting throw-test
>> Fatal error during phase 1 unwinding
>> Abort (core dumped)
>>
>> Which indeed is not what I expected.
>>
>> I´ve tried debugging this for a couple of days and have concluded that my throw clause ends up in contrib/gcc/config/arm/unwind-arm.c. The associated code in unwind-arm.c is;
>>
>> static _Unwind_Reason_Code
>> get_eit_entry (_Unwind_Control_Block *ucbp, _uw return_address)
>> {
>>  const __EIT_entry * eitp;
>>  int nrec;
>>
>>  /* The return address is the address of the instruction following the
>>     call instruction (plus one in thumb mode).  If this was the last
>>     instruction in the function the address will lie in the following
>>     function.  Subtract 2 from the address so that it points within the call
>>     instruction itself.  */
>>  return_address -= 2;
>>
>>  if (__gnu_Unwind_Find_exidx)
>>    {
>>      eitp = (const __EIT_entry *) __gnu_Unwind_Find_exidx (return_address,
> [...]

I’d like to make one thing perfectly clear, as there’s some confusion.
As long as we can bootstrap from the last version of the system, the
fact that it doesn’t compile with gcc 4.2 is *NOT* a gating factor. That’s
never been a requirement for a 3.5 import, and gcc 4.2 is being shown
the door for 11.x.

I’ve not had time to try it either. And my time for doing build stuff has
been limited the past month or so. I hope to get back to it in the coming
weeks to resolve some lingering issues, as well as fix the external
toolchain support to be completely bootstrapping rather than half
bootstrapping like we have today.

Warner