official packages for arm?

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Fri Jul 4 18:28:29 UTC 2014

There are no longer any packages for any non-x86 architecture as a
result of the security breach last year. There are basically three
reasons for this:
1. The old package build infrastructure got abandoned.
2. The new scheme requires one giant machine to build all the packages,
which is hard for ARM.
3. There seems to be some policy that package-build latency should be
less than a day or two for security reasons, which is hard without huge
numbers of CPUs.

These aren't that hard to fix.

There are two ways to fix (2). There has been a bunch of effort from
many people in being able to cross-build packages. An alternative is to
distribute the builds over a cluster, which I've been doing for 32-bit
PPC (thanks to clusteradm@ providing some resources!). That works well,
and if ARM hardware appeared in the cluster, it would be easy to set
that up tomorrow. From the OS development side, native builds are nice
because they stress-test the operating system in a way that cross-builds
don't.

Fixing (3) requires a policy change. I think the easiest would be a
Tier-1/Tier-2 thing like for the base system. x86 packages are
guaranteed to get prompt security updates and have more paranoid
validation. Tier-2 might be slower, or built on non-centrally controlled
hardware, or whatever.
-Nathan