official packages for arm?

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bris.ac.uk
Fri Jul 4 10:26:19 UTC 2014

Few silly questions, please don't shoot.

1. Why are there no official arm packages?
Lack of interest from users?
Lack of volunteers maintaining the arm portscluster
infrastructure?
The fact that arm is actually several implementations
(RPI, wandboard, etc. OABI vs EABI)?

2. Are there any specific arm considerations when
building ports? To do with build time? To do with
processor capabilities?

3. As a guideline, if using external disk
for building ports (e.g. usb flash media,
usb hard disk, usb SSD) is the I/O speed
important? Or is the bottleneck the processor speed?

4. Of the three external media: (1) usb flash
drive, (2) usb hard (moving parts) disk,
(3) usb SSD, which is faster in broad terms.
I understand YMMV.

5. The default RPI-B kernel is very lean:
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/arm/conf/RPI-B?view=markup

Still there are things which (I think)
I don't need, e.g. USB ethernet.
Will I gain anything by removing USB ethernet
from the kernel?

6. What is spibus?

Thanks

Anton