my private build RaspberryPi Image is available

Tim Kientzle tim at kientzle.com
Sat Jan 25 20:14:00 UTC 2014

On Jan 25, 2014, at 11:56 AM, George Mitchell <george+freebsd at m5p.com> wrote:

> On 01/25/14 14:24, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 22, 2014, at 3:56 PM, shigeru at os-hackers.jp wrote:
>>
>>> Unfortunately, there are some ports which I can't compile
>>> on -current FreeBSD/RaspberryPi.
>>> These ports requires GCC, but gcc ports in -current does not support
>>> arm/armv6.
>>
>> Why not?  Any suggestion how to fix that?
>>
>> Tim
>> [...]
>
> For me, specifying WITH_GCC="yes" in src.conf at the time I built
> the world gave me a gcc that works for at least the ports I needed.
> (And any port that specifies USES_GCC=any).            -- George

That works today, but isn't a particularly good long-term answer:
  * Ports that demand GCC will increasingly expect something newer than GCC 4.2.
  * Someday (FreeBSD 11? FreeBSD 12?) we will no longer have GCC in-tree.

So it's certainly worth exploring how to build ports that require GCC
without using the in-tree GCC.

Tim