u-boot-2014.01 and freebsd arm

Ian Lepore ian at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 21 19:13:38 UTC 2014

Just an FYI, I've updated locally to u-boot version 2014.01 for my
wandboards.  It works fine without needing any patches except for the
options you want to add/change in configs/wandboard.h, with one caveat:
u-boot now enables the caches and our kernel startup code isn't coping
well with that right now.  I'm going to look into fixing that, but you
can get around it for now by adding the CONFIG_SYS_DCACHE_OFF option or
just putting "dcache flush;dcache off;" in your boot command in the
u-boot env.

I haven't tried the newer u-boot on my other boards yet (BBW, rpi).

If anyone feels like doing a bit of work on u-boot, I think it would be
great if we could get FFS support into u-boot so that we can boot from a
disk image that doesn't need an msdos partition just to hold ubldr.
There is a patchset for this that no longer applies cleanly (at least to
2014.01, I haven't tried earlier versions).  It's available at
http://www.springdaemons.com/stas/u-boot-ffs.patch if anyone wants to
give it a shot.

The work to be done is really two tasks:  re-integrate the changes with
the latest u-boot code, and then get the u-boot folks to incorporate
those changes upstream.  It doesn't have to be the same person tackling
both problems, but the second part will be easier if the first part is
done with an eye to making the changes "fit" in their world -- adopt
their mechanisms and coding style as much as possible.

-- Ian