RPI, config.txt: overscan, not working

Eric Gunther egunther at warwick.net
Fri Dec 26 11:53:16 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-12-26 at 10:44 +0100, Bernd Walter wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 03:39:53PM -0700, Ian Lepore wrote:
> > While searching for something else I just ran across this info:
> >
> >         overscan_scale=1 caused the output of openFrameworks to respect
> >         the overscan_left, overscan_right, top and bottom settings with
> >         the use of an LCD display connected via composite.
> >
> > So maybe just adding that to config.txt would make your overscan
> > settings work right.  I found that at:
> >
> > http://elinux.org/RPiconfig
>
> I have had a similar kind of problem long time ago.
> Story was a 1024x600 LC-display attached via converter to HDMI.
> Per default displayed 1024x768 with last 168 rows missing at bottom
> as HDMI specs only knows mode numbers with fixed resolutions.
> With LCD vendor supplied config.txt parameters I made it work under
> bootcode and Linux, but not under FreeBSD.
> I remember that Linux/bootcode behavour was very unexpected.
> I think it was something like this (don't remember exactly) in that top
> overscan removed one per pixel on top and bottom overscan removed 2 pixel
> on bottom, but also shifted the display up by one pixel.
> Under FreeBSD however the parameters behaved differently, so that the
> only option to remove bottom lines was to also remove top lines, which
> left 168 unused pixels on the top.
> IIRC I send a mail to this list about this problem.
> Never tested again since then.

So far that seems to have worked very well.  No problems reading the
prompt, messages or boot.  I did notice though, and this may be obvious
to others, when you add overscan to one side the other side loses some.
Old TV with composite inputs.  Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB, FreeBSD:
FreeBSD-11.0-CURRENT-arm-armv6-RPI-B-20140903-r270990.img
available from,
http://ftp.ksu.edu.tw/FTP/BSD/FreeBSD/snapshots/arm/armv6/ISO-IMAGES/11.0/
as well as others, I'm sure.

-e