And now for the actual test... [was: Re: What platform do you use?]

Ian Lepore ian at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 11 02:37:27 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-08-05 at 10:26 -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I’d like to know what platforms people use FreeBSD/arm with, and if you’d have time to test some potentially “break the kernel” sort of changes in the next month?
>
> I have the following boards: boatloads of atmel, BBB, and RPI. This covers the at91, imx6 and broadcom directories. I also have a allwinnner board, but I’ve never got it booting FreeBSD. Likewise with a rockchip. I have some marvell gear too, but it is buried deep. This leaves a lot of other boards/SoCs to cover...
>
> Warner

So, anybody wanting to do the testing alluded to in this thread-starting
message, here's all you need to do:

 - Add "option ARM_DEVICE_MULTIPASS" to your kernel config.
 - Rebuild and install the kernel, boot.
 - Everything should still work.

The only difference you should notice is that devices load in a
different order at boot time.  Specifically, you'll see all the busses
listed first, then interrupt controllers, then l2cache, then clocks and
timers, then all the usual stuff after that.

There's no immediate benefit or speedup or anything, this is to help
pave the way for using fdt data that comes with a board or system
instead of needing our special freebsd dtb files.  Right now we count on
devices loading in the order we list them in our dts source.  This is a
new way of loading things that should ensure critical devices are loaded
first, even when we can't control the order of things in the fdt data.

I've tested this on wandboard only so far.

-- Ian