What platform do you use?

Paul Mather paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu
Fri Aug 8 13:36:04 UTC 2014

On Aug 7, 2014, at 5:34 PM, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2014, at 2:34 PM, Sulev-Madis Silber (ketas) <madis555 at hot.ee> wrote:
>
>> On 2014-08-05 21:24, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>>> I also have a BBW that I occasionally test w/ but since I haven't got
>>> it netbooting, the cost of building an entire image and writing it to
>>> SLOW microsd prevents me from testing as much...
>>
>> I wonder why people like to update their embedded systems by taking card
>> out, completely overwriting it with new data and putting card back in.
>> No wonder that it's slow, complex & heedlessly wears out your flash.
>>
>> If I do this in my BBB I would get myself pissed very soon because of
>> the effort required. I never bothered to netboot too, because I wanted
>> to test it in insecure network conditions.
>> I mean, I don't remember a case where I needed to take HDD to another
>> machine for upgrade. The issue where it's not practical to compile
>> something locally is completely unrelated with this, too.
>
> make installworld works too, as does extracting the binary sets. The new installer
> should work, but I’ve not tried it.

It would be handy for those of us wanting to cross-build FreeBSD/arm
for someone who is familiar with the build process to give a quick
example of how to update a FreeBSD/arm installation that is cross-built
on another system.  In the past, I've had the impression that the build
infrastructure on the target system sometimes needs to be in alignment
with the new kernel/world you're trying to install, and so NFS-mounting
/usr/src and /usr/obj or copying it to the target system fails to yield
a successful "make installworld" on the target system.  Maybe this is
no longer the case, as I believe great strides have been made in the
realm of cross-building.

Up to now, I have largely used Crochet to build images for my R-PI and
BBB.  That's okay for initial install, but I'm much more familiar with
updating from source and would like to do that from then on.  In the
past, FreeBSD/arm has been too flaky for me to do a native build (I've
posted here about that in the past), but, besides that, it would be
nice to cut down the long native build times by cross-building on a
much faster system.

I have an R-PI and BBB and would like to cross-build (for update
purposes) on my FreeBSD/amd64 10-STABLE system.  Could you post a known
way to do this?  I can NFS-mount from the FreeBSD/amd64 or else have it
put /usr/src and /usr/obj on an USB external hard drive that I can then
connect to my R-PI or BBB for updating.  Either is okay with me.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Paul.

PS: What is the make target to build the binary sets?  Does this work
when cross-building?