Compilation for ARM, patches

Ian Lepore ian at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 1 20:38:55 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-06-17 at 07:21 +0600, Stepan Dyatkovskiy wrote:
> Hi all,
> Ian,
> May be you right about bug, but it's not allowed neither in gas, nor in
> clang.
> The issue actually was in double purpose of ENTRY:
> 1. It just defines function entry.
> 2. It defines .fnstart for exception unwinding.
>
> For example memset and bzero functions are overlapped in kernel, and
> this is a reason of producing overlapping of .fnstart/.fnend definitions.
> "bzero" starts earlier, and then enters into "memset" contents. So, it
> looks like, actually we need .fnstart for "dzero" only (am I right?).
>
> I have attached patches that allows to compile kernel with binutils-2.23
> (compiled from ports/devel/cross-binutils, TGTARCH=arm,
> TGTABI=unknown-freebsd).
>
> I have introduced EENTRY, that just defines label without .fnstart.
> Please look what I did (I suppose I could be wrong with such approach,
> since after this patch I have a lot of Warning: null messages).
>
> Anyways these patches allows to run kernel with cortex-a9 options.

Sorry it took so long, but I've finally gotten these patches committed,
as of r269395, thanks for submitting them.  You were right about the
nested .fnstart being an error.  I learned more about the unwind info
while working on the c++ exception bugs -- multiple .fnstart without
a .fnend in between can't be expressed correctly at all, the tools are
right to complain about that.

I made some changes to the EENTRY() stuff, if I didn't get it right and
it needs more changes to compile with your newer binutils, just let me
know and I'll adjust as needed.

I also committed the .arch_extension for ti_smc.S, which actually
required changing our base binutils to recognize .arch_extension (but it
was worth it, because if we start correcting our code now it will be
ready when we update our tools in base).

-- Ian