Building an ARM/RPI-B release (hacked) on CURRENT/AMD64.

Mark R V Murray mark at grondar.org
Thu Apr 17 20:56:34 UTC 2014

On 17 Apr 2014, at 21:50, Ian Lepore <ian at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-04-17 at 20:54 +0100, Mark R V Murray wrote:
>> I’m guessing (more like hoping) that once the boot bits work, they’ll be pretty stable for a given platform for a while, and the .img file could be kept under src/release/… somewhere. This way, it doesn’t matter if some humongous GCC port is used for cross-building; this would be only needed when the boot-bits change.
>> <thinking>
>
> I'm not very familiar with crochet, but I'm confused now... Tim K. is
> the creator of crochet, and he's the maintainer of the
> u-boot-beaglebone-eabi port, which uses the gcc cross-compiler from
> ports.  So did Tim not use his own excellent port in crochet?

No, and it may have something to do with ports/lang/arm-*-(binutils|gcc) being a bit unstable (By that I mean they kinda came-and-went, and which to use was quite a guessing game. This is now moot as there is now the useful-looking gcc-arm-ports/devel/embedded which seems to enjoy a lot of TLC!).

Mark R V Murray