Building an ARM/RPI-B release (hacked) on CURRENT/AMD64.

Tim Kientzle tim at kientzle.com
Thu Apr 17 01:25:49 UTC 2014

On Apr 15, 2014, at 12:23 PM, Mark R V Murray <mark at grondar.org> wrote:

> Hi Tim
>
> I’ve been doing some local hacks to cross-build ARM/RPI releases on CURRENT/AMD64.
>
> What I’m doing aren’t clean releases in that I want to use the state of /usr/src and /usr/ports “as-is” and not a clean check out. This allows me to experimentally break stuff without having to check it in first. It also give me a way to build bootable images for when (not “if”!) I mess things up properly on the RPI. It has the advantage also of being quicker than the usual release build.
>
> (The hacks, as they stand now, are attached. I null-mount /usr/src and /usr/ports instead of checking them out, and I have local checkouts of crochet and u-boot to copy as checking them out during a release build fails too often.)
>
> The problem is that sometime in the last month or so, things stopped working, and its taken me until now to have the time to have a look at it.
>
> The problem is that during the u-boot build, a CLANG-based xdev build is used, and this has no *-gcc, only a *-cc. If I fix that with a symlink, clang then objects to the -ffixed-r8 option. Clang has an equivalent -ffixed-r9, but the u-boot that is  mandated for FreeBSD/Arm/RPI use doesn’t have the R9 fix.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Are you aware of any of this?

Yes.

> 2) Do you have a quick fix idea (preferably not involving GCC)?

No.  <sigh>

Right now, the “get it working” answer is to install GCC XDEV tools.

Though I tried that on a clean system last weekend and it
still failed to build.  Haven’t tracked down why.

> I’m rather short of time right now, but may be able to get to this over Easter.

Long-term, we’d all like to see U-Boot build with clang.

No idea yet whether that’s hard or not.  No idea if
I’ll have time to work on it in the near future.

Tim