FreeBSD-CURRENT r251099 for RasPi stops at "warning: no time-of-day clock registered, system will not be set accurately"

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed May 29 16:13:19 UTC 2013

On May 29, 2013, at 9:52 AM, Tim Kientzle wrote:

> On May 29, 2013, at 5:33 AM, Alie Tan wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just built FreeBSD-CURRENT r251099 for RasPi with ARM EABI and GCC but
>> unfortunately it stops at message below while booting:
>> warning: no time-of-day clock registered, system will not be set accurately
>>
>> This thing happens if I build it with CLANG too.
>
> This warning is meaningless.  The RPi doesn't have
> RTC hardware.
>
> It sounds like it's unable to mount root.

Yes, the warning means that there's no RTC on the RPi...

When things hang after this message it usually means that something is wrong with the driver for the root device. The best way to track this down is to change the root device and see if it persists. You can also make sysinit verbose, which also helps track things down, at the expense of a lot of spew on boot.

Warner