Port: U-Boot for BeagleBone

Tim Kientzle tim at kientzle.com
Sat May 18 17:59:46 UTC 2013

On May 18, 2013, at 10:54 AM, Warner Losh wrote:

> On May 18, 2013, at 10:46 AM, Tim Kientzle wrote:

>>> u-boot can't be built with clang.
>>
>> Yes, it can.  Since the ARM clang switch was thrown,
>> the xdev tools now build clang (unnecessarily, of course).
>> U-Boot builds just fine with it:
>>
>> $ armv6-freebsd-cc --version
>> FreeBSD clang version 3.3 (trunk 178860) 20130405
>> Target: armv6--freebsd
>> Thread model: posix
>
> Do these boot?

Gosh.  Now you've made me nervous that
I might still be using old GCC-compiled versions.

Just a sec ….
$ rm -rf u-boot-2013.04
$ tar xf u-boot-2013.04.tar.bz2
$ sudo ./crochet.sh -c beagleblack.sh

Copy to SD card …

Yep.  It boots.  ;-)

> I was under the impression that u-boot used global register flags in gcc that clang wasn't going to support... I'd be happy if I'm wrong though…

Don't know the details.  Maybe Andrew knows what has changed?

Tim