Port: U-Boot for BeagleBone

Tim Kientzle kientzle at freebsd.org
Sat May 18 14:39:15 UTC 2013

On May 17, 2013, at 11:48 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> This makes it really difficult to potentially support building FreeBSD
> images on non-FreeBSD platforms.

Maybe not.  Even non-FreeBSD platforms should be
able to download the FreeBSD package from an HTTP
server somewhere.  That package file is ultimately just
a tar archive with the boot bits inside it.

> It also means that people can do things like have out of date builds
> of things like bootloaders, mkuboot/mkuzimage, etc.

Building from source doesn't protect you from being
out of date.  I've been bitten several times by having
several-months-old U-Boot or FreeBSD sources on
my system.

> I'm likely going to go the opposite way with my stuff. Ie, if I do
> need bootloaders and such, I'll be packaging ...

Great!

It's always good to have different people trying different
approaches to see how they work.

Have you given any thought to how to keep bundled sources
up-to-date?  For example, U-Boot support for new platforms
can evolve very quickly sometimes.

Tim