Port: U-Boot for BeagleBone

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Sat May 18 03:48:16 UTC 2013

This makes it really difficult to potentially support building FreeBSD
images on non-FreeBSD platforms.

It also means that people can do things like have out of date builds
of things like bootloaders, mkuboot/mkuzimage, etc.

That's why I'm kind of a bit worried about this trend.

I'm likely going to go the opposite way with my stuff. Ie, if I do
need bootloaders and such, I'll be packaging either the source trees,
or ports themselves, as part of the "freebsd-wifi-image" build
environment. I'll try to reuse the port build infrastructure as much
as possible but I won't rely on many tools and external support
software trees that aren't in /usr/src or the build environment
itself.

Thanks,

adrian

On 17 May 2013 16:01, Tim Kientzle <kientzle at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On May 17, 2013, at 5:20 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>
>> ... so how do I do a userland build of a bootloader? :-)
>
>> Does crochet have extra stuff in it to build ports with alternate
>> roots and install-as-user options set? Or does it now require you have
>> them installed before you can build images?
>
> This is still pretty experimental, so feel free to chime
> in with better ideas.
>
> My thinking right now is essentially that:
>
>  * Port/package creates /usr/local/share/u-boot/u-boot-beaglebone/<files>
>  * Crochet uses these files when it builds the image
>
> So yes, the port or package containing the boot bits
> would be a prerequisite.  For the interim, this is not
> much worse than the current "you have to download
> the source and run crochet as root."
>
> This is basically driven from the observation that Crochet's
> current logic to build a boot loader contains essentially
> the same information (place to download source, patches, etc)
> that go into a FreeBSD port.  So it avoids a chunk of duplication
> to make the boot loader builds be ports.
>
> I haven't thought through the non-root build case yet:
>
> Obviously, once the port/package is installed, using it
> as a non-root user is no problem.   I suspect this is the
> common case.
>
> Building/installing the port as a non-root user should
> be feasible, but I haven't tinkered with that yet.
>
> Downloading/installing the package as a non-root user
> may also be feasible.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Tim
>

>> Thanks,
>>

>> adrian
>>

>> On 17 May 2013 14:08,  <gnn at freebsd.org> wrote:

>>> It claims to require a cross building compiler in /usr/obj so I'm
>>> waiting for that to build on my laptop.

>>> Works for me.  Thanks to both of you.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> George