clear_cache and clang (was Re: Git crash on EABI system.)

Andrew Turner andrew at fubar.geek.nz
Fri May 17 12:49:26 UTC 2013

On Fri, 17 May 2013 08:22:14 -0400
Tim Kientzle <kientzle at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On May 17, 2013, at 5:05 AM, Werner Thie wrote:
>
> > Tim
> >
> > Maybe you or somebody else can shed some light onto how compiler-rt
> > is used for the ARM platform, specifically why am I getting a
> >
> > missing symbol __clear_cache
>
> I suspect it's somehow related to this (from libcompiler_rt/Makefile):
>
> # Don't build clear_cache on ARM with clang as it is a builtin there.
> .if ${MACHINE_CPUARCH} != "arm" || ${COMPILER_TYPE} != "clang"
> SRCF+=  clear_cache
> .endif
>
> Do you know what code in ctypes for Python is referring to
> that symbol?   There may be some oddity in how that symbol is
> being referenced that's incompatible with the clang built-in.

__clear_cache is a builtin function in clang and it will complain if
we have a function with it's name because of this.

There may be issues when linking with objects built with gcc, however I
don't know the state of gcc from the ports tree. The only known working
version of gcc for FreeBSD ARM EABI is in base.

Andrew