Rpi boot process stuck on mountroot

Tim Kientzle tim at kientzle.com
Tue Jan 1 01:37:47 UTC 2013

On Dec 31, 2012, at 5:01 PM, Ian Lepore wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-12-31 at 16:42 -0800, hiren panchasara wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am using Tim Kientzle's scripts and have been harassing him with
>> stupid questions.
>> Many thanks to him for his work.
>>
>> I am LX Series 8gig Class 10 sd card with Tim's most current scripts
>> and -head as my sources.
>>
>> dmesg on attaching the card:
>>
>> mmc0: <MMC/SD bus> on sdhci0
>> mmcsd0: 7600MB <SDHC SD08G 3.0 SN -1341241004 MFG 06/2012 by 39 PH> at
>> mmc0 50.0MHz/4bit/65535-block
>>
>> But getting error on mountroot as shown in the attachment.
>>
>> Any help/pointers would be appreciated.
>>

> Hmm.  If it's an 8gb card it's HC by definition, and it says it detected
> an SDHC card, so running at 50mhz shouldn't be a problem.  It would be
> interesting to see if it works if you force it to run as a non-HC at
> 25mhz, using this patch...
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~gonzo/patches/u-boot-pi-nohs.diff

My build scripts already apply that patch when
they build U-Boot.

Hiren's problem is the FreeBSD kernel failing to mountroot.
The kernel should be doing its own probe and configuration
of the SD card.

I saw a similar problem a little while back here and
noticed it failed exactly when the kernel probed it at
50MHz.  When the kernel probed at 25MHz all was
good.

Tim