Raspberry Pi Network Data

Brett Wynkoop wynkoop at wynn.com
Tue Feb 26 17:10:03 UTC 2013

Greeting-

For a couple of days I have been building software from ports.  Mostly
these builds are for things I just want to try on the Pi, or Bone, but
the secondary reason is to put some pre-compiled packages up for those
that do not have the patience to build them.

While my Pi has been stable for a couple of weeks I have noted that
sometimes it stops talking on the network.  At those times if I get on
the console and ifconfig down and back up the interface it starts
talking on the net just fine again.

Last night I believe I found a link between disk i/o and network
non-responsiveness.  During a period of high disk i/o to the USB
connected flash drive I lost network.  The console had messages about
retrys to the disk and the console was slow to respond.  It took me for
ever to get logged in because the console kept dropping characters
while I typed.  I am using usb-keyboard and composite video for the
console.

When I got logged in I still had trouble typing ifconfig ue0 down ;
ifconfig ue0 up, but once I did everything went back to normal.
Keyboard response was fine, disk i/o no longer seemed to be reporting
errors and of course the network came back on line.

I went to sleep with zoneminder building.  Now 6 hours later I find the
machine in the same state. Since the disk, keyboard, and ethernet are
all usb devices could we have a bug in the usb sub-system?

As soon as the ifconfig ue0 down happens the console keyboard becomes
properly responsive again.  Could we have some sort of interrupt
problem going on here?

This is food for thought for you kernel hackers.  If there is anything
you want me to specifically try or do the next time I have this
problem, probably in the next 24 hours, please let me know.

Your fellow ARM hacker,

-Brett

--

wynkoop at wynn.com               http://prd4.wynn.com/wynkoop/pgp-keys.txt
917-642-6925

April 19, 1775 An English attempt to confiscate guns from Americans
triggered a successful revolution......

     Dear Congress, that's a hint.