The Next BeagleBone Better & Faster for Less!

Ian Lepore ian at FreeBSD.org
Thu Feb 21 14:48:39 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-02-20 at 23:49 -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2013, at 11:13 PM, Brett Wynkoop wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 23:49:03 -0500
> > George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:

> >> Wow.  Although personally, I could do without the HDMI.
> >>
> >> It would be ideal there was a stock FBSD image for them to provide for
> >> purchasers... as in official on their www site as an alternative to
> >> Linux.

> > Greeting-
> >
> > We need working USB support to contribute that to their site.
> >
> > Is this new bone going to be the same as the old bone, but with video,
> > in other words will current kernels run or will the hard core kernel
> > folks have to rework things?
>
> We'll likely have to rework thing, at least if we want to run out of flash on the card. it has a new flash chip that has micron markings on it. Sure would be nice to know what, exactly, that chip is...
>
> Warner

Unless it's a fairly old chip, or one of Micron's offerings with on-chip
ECC, our current ecc code isn't going to handle it.  I just spent weeks
learning that the hard way.  The ecc code we have checked in is a
hamming code implementation that can correct single-bit errors, and
modern nand chips are requiring algorithms that can correct multi-bit
errors.  Our current code also isn't ready to handle the situation where
the SoC's nand flash controller hardware does ecc with some cooperation
from software.

-- Ian