zfs on arm

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Feb 20 21:11:09 UTC 2013

On Feb 20, 2013, at 1:35 PM, Brett Wynkoop wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 20:25:37 +0000
> "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve at sohara.org> wrote:
>
>> 	ZFS in 256MB (or 512MB if you have a later model B), isn't
>> that pushing things just a little, given that 4GB is considered small
>> memory for ZFS.
>>

> Greeting-
>
> There are many cases of x86 boxes running zfs with 512M and 768M of
> memory.  It takes some tweaking, but it works after the correct
> adjustments.
>
> I think a 512M Pi should be able to do zfs just fine.

I've done this on x86 with 640MB, but it requires a lot of hand tuning. You should be able to build the kernel (most likely the OPENSOLARIS issue is just moving from options.* to options, mostly), but you'll encounter resource starvation issues until the tuning is right. :( But that was in the 7.x timeframe, iirc, and that was so many ZFS revisions ago...

Warner